Challenge your brain and improve your working memory!
Have you already tried these brainteasers on Twitter?
If not, try them now before looking up the answers!
1. The words below are all anagrams of other words, the initial letters of which form an anagram of another word. What is the answer
bruise warned please listen veined trance
2. Starting with HATE, change one letter at a time until you have the word LOVE. Each change leaves the other letters in their original places and must result in a proper word. What is the minimum number of steps required to achieve this change?
HATE …. …. ….
3. If today is Friday, what is the day that follows the day that comes after the day that precedes the day before yesterday?
4. If you were to spell out the numbers in full, (One, Two, Three, etc), how far would you have to go until you found the letter ‘A’?
5. Another Word Ladder
Change ONE to TWO in seven steps, changing only one letter in each three-letter word.
6. When Bob is twice as old as he is now, he’ll be four times as old as he was six years ago. How old is Bob?
7. Make the following correct with one stroke of the pen: 101010 = 9.50
8. How can you combine eight 8’s to make 1000?
9. Tune up your brain! Can you find a single five-letter word which can be added to each of the following letters to form 5 six-letter words? B, T, J, M, D
10. The maker doesn’t need it, the buyer doesn’t use it and the user uses it without knowing. What is it?
11. Show how one taken away from 19 can give you 20.
12. There are three light seitches downstairs which light up three bulbs in the attic. How can you find out which switch lights up which bulb with only one trip upstairs?
13. A Christmas brain teaser. If snow falls from the sky at the rate of one drop of snow per second, how many drops of snow will fall over one minute?
Answers: (Don’t look unless you have to!)
1. The answer is ‘ANSWER’: asleep, nectar, silent, wander, envied, rubies.
2. HATE, DATE, DOTE, DOVE, LOVE or HATE, LATE, LAVE, LOVE or HATE HAVE HOVE LOVE.
4. 1000: one thousand. Unless you in the UK when 101 = one hundred And one.
5. OLE, ALE, AYE, DYE, DOE, TOE, TOO, TWO
6. Bob is twelve (12)
7. 10 T0 10
8. Here’s one way but you might find more? 8+8+8+88+888=1000
9. Bangle, Tangle, Jangle, Mangle, Dangle
10. A coffin!
11. Write 19 in Roman numerals – XIX. Take I away and you are left with XX.
12. Turn on one switch and wait a minute or two. Then turn it off and switch on another light. Go upstairs and you will see one light on, one is still warm to the touch and one is still cold. Now you know which is which!
13. 61 drops of snow. We start counting from the time the first snow drop falls and the moment of time is 0 seconds. At the moment of time of 1 second, we have two drops of snow, and so on. When the moment of time is 60 seconds, we will have had 61 drops of snow.